Friday, August 24, 2012

BBB yummies

August 24, 2012

Friday. Fayette county public schools were out today so Michael didn't miss another school day. I think he will be well enough to return on Monday. No fever today but his throat was still very sore. No school for him or for me. Michael had a doctor's appointment this morning which Scott took him to. Scott dropped the boy back home afterwards and went to get his hair cut. Right as he was returning home I was heading out with the boy. Michael and I decided to go to Bakery Blessings & Bookstore at the Bar (BBB) for lunch. BBB is one of our favorite places. It is run by a local lady Jan Sullivan, and her mother helps out most days.

Jan is a really neat lady, I have sat and talked with her many times. She is a youth minister by training who decided she wanted to open a place for kids and adults to come and just be safe and comfortable. The books in the shop are all from Kentucky authors, and they come in to speak or sign their books regularly. Jan herself is a young adult christian book author, having published several books to date. there is also artwork from Kentucky artists. Local musicians perform some days and there is free tutoring for kids. Here is a link to BBB on Facebook.

Lunch is served 11-2 and is quite good. Jan makes homemade soups including the ever present tomato bisque which is delicious, vegetable beef which is also fabulous and one soup that changes monthly. Today's option was broccoli cheddar which i had, it was quite good but not as good as the tomato or veggie beef. Michael had a grilled cheese, 2 coke floats, and a slice of caramel pie. I let him splurge on the sugar since he has been such a good sport while sick and with getting lots of shots at the doctor. I had a bowl of the broccoli cheddar soup (which came with a chunk of french bread), I ate Michael's pickle (he hates pickles), and I had a hazelnut Italian cream soda. I took a piece of caramel pie home for Scott and a slice of red velvet cake home for myself for later.

halfway through my broccoli cheese soup, I already ate the French bread and some crackers. That is Michael's dill pickle spear on the side.
 My hazelnut Italian cream soda! YUM.
Michael's first Coke float. Gone. Complete with straw and really neat glass/plastic spoon to get all the yummy ice cream from the bottom of the glass. Michael enjoyed it so much I let him have 2 of them. He's really been a sport with his sore throat due to his tonsillitis. I did have him eat a grilled cheese (on oat bread) and not JUST desserts and sweets though!
 Michael's slice of caramel pie topped with whipped cream. The crust is homemade and very yummy.


Usually I like to go to BBB one afternoon every week for lunch and to just relax for a few hours. There is free Wi-Fi so I take either a book/textbook, articles to read, the laptop or tablet and either work on homework or relax and read for a few hours for pleasure. I usually get iced tea or coffee after eating lunch and relax with my bottomless beverage while I read. I usually have some small dessert or get something to take home also. Jan and her family are very nice. I like supporting a local businesswoman, especially someone trying to both run a pleasant business and do something good for kids and the community. I am not religious myself but I can still be supportive of a good thing. Several of my friends go there now, and Michael and i like to go also. He cannot normally go for lunch but I can hang out and he can walk there to meet me some afternoons after he gets out of school since his High School is right down the street.

We returned home (with the packaged goodies for later) about 2pm. Michael's mom was supposed to get him about 3. There was a death in his mom's family and it is also her weekend to have him. The problem is that his twin baby sisters are sick, as is his Mom. He is already sick himself and didn't want to be stuck in a car for 45 minutes each way with sick people while he was crammed in between 2 car seats with crying babies. He was worried he'd made them all sicker, and vice versa since they are all immunocompromised at this point. After several phone calls it was decided that Scott will meet her halfway tomorrow to trade off the boy and that they will be going to the wake for the family member tomorrow instead of the viewing tonight. That way Michael can be in the front seat since his mom's boyfriend/baby daddy is working, so Michael won't be stuck between the car seats. Hopefully this will allow everyone to have a bit more space and hopefully be a little less likely to get sicker.

So he was with us tonight. We had Taco Bell tacos and they played MW3 for most of the afternoon and evening while I napped. My ankle was hurting a lot, apparently driving is NOT a pleasant thing. I am probably going to have to break down and get the ankle looked at again since it is not healing well. I'll see about doing that on Monday. I got an e-mail that my Thursday class has been moved to another building and room since it is a sizeable class, probably about 25 people. The new building is twice as far away. I cannot possible walk there and back and I'm not sure my ankle is up for bicycling yet. I may have to see about getting a temporary disabled parking sticker till my ankle heals some more. Darn ankle!

Nothing more for today, I will be working on homework this weekend and I am not sure what else. I'll try to get back into the habit of taking photos!

Take care,
~Melissa

No comments:

Post a Comment